The saying is, "timing is everything"; I couldn't agree more. On a recent train ride back from Vermont I began to listen to Three Days Grace: ONE X, and it dawned on me that this is an older album, and at the time it dropped I didn't even like the band. So what happened?
For me music reflects periods in my life, and what I can relate to at that time. Though I have always been a fan of hard rock and metal, it has not been until the last 3 years that I have been focusing my musical tastes to it. I have not become more angry or hostile in the past three years (though some may disagree), I have just become more aware that this is the music lyrically that I relate too more. There was a time in my life where I would only listen to Phish, Widespread Panic, and The Dead; upon which those times were not any less hectic or aggressive.
Does this hold true for the masses though? Recently I went to go see Story of the Year, hands down one of my favorite bands. Though they are more widely known for their first album Page Avenue, the boys of SOTY are 4 albums deep, and all of them are heavily played in my rotation. About 4 years ago I went to go see them at Irving Plaza and at the time Anberlin; a great band as well; opened for them. To my surprise when I went to go see them at Highline Ballroom about 2 months ago the order was reversed, SOTY opened for Anberlin. This is not the first time in music history that this is occurred; however it was the first time that I have actually witnessed it.
The wonderful thing about all this, and I believe it holds true for everyone, is that we can all turn on an old album and have it bring us back to the time and the place where we first heard it, or got turned on to it. Music is not only a refection of our current emotions but as of our past ones as well. So hop in your car, or pop on your iPod and listen to an old jam!
No comments:
Post a Comment